Abandoned carts are a common problem for online retailers. According to a study by Baymard Institute, the average abandonment rate for online carts is 70.19%. That means that for every 100 carts created, 68 of them are abandoned before the customer completes their purchase.
There are many reasons why customers abandon their carts. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Unexpected shipping costs
- Long checkout process
- Security concerns
- Not finding the right product
- Simply changing their mind
As an online retailer, you can’t control all of the factors that lead to abandoned carts. However, there are a number of things you can do to reduce the abandonment rate and recover lost sales.
Step 1: Find Your Abandoned Carts
The first step to recovering abandoned carts is to find them. Shopify makes it easy to do this by providing a list of abandoned carts in your admin dashboard. You can view the list by going to Orders > Abandoned checkouts.
Step 2: Send Abandoned Cart Emails
One of the most effective ways to recover abandoned carts is to send abandoned cart emails. These emails remind customers of the items they left in their cart and offer them a discount or incentive to complete their purchase. There are a number of different abandoned cart email templates available. You can use one of these templates or create your own. When creating your own email, be sure to include the following information:
- A list of the items left in the cart
- A discount or incentive to complete the purchase
- A clear call to action
Step 3: Offer Live Chat Support
If a customer is having trouble completing their purchase, they may abandon their cart. Offering live chat support can help you to resolve any issues they are having and encourage them to complete their purchase. Live chat is a great way to provide personalized customer service. It allows you to interact with customers in real time and answer their questions or concerns.
Step 4: Simplify Your Checkout Process
A long and complicated checkout process can lead to abandoned carts. Make sure your checkout process is as simple and straightforward as possible.
Here are a few tips for simplifying your checkout process:
- Use a single-page checkout
- Offer guest checkout
- Accept multiple payment methods
- Display clear shipping costs
Step 5: Use Exit Intent Pop-ups
Exit intent pop-ups are a great way to recover abandoned carts. These pop-ups appear when a customer is about to leave your website. They can be used to remind customers of the items they left in their cart and offer them a discount or incentive to complete their purchase.
Step 6: Run Retargeting Ads
Retargeting ads are a great way to reach customers who have abandoned their carts. These ads are shown to customers who have visited your website but have not made a purchase. They can be used to remind customers of the items they left in their cart and encourage them to complete their purchase.
By following these steps, you can reduce the abandonment rate of your Shopify carts and recover lost sales. By taking the time to optimize your checkout process and send abandoned cart emails, you can encourage more customers to complete their purchases.
E-commerce Stores Lose Millions Due to Cart Abandonment
- According to a study by Statista, the global average abandonment rate for online carts is 70.19%.
- The average cart abandonment rate across all Industries is 69.57 percent.
- The more personal you can make your abandoned cart emails, the more likely it is that customers will complete their purchase.
- 65% of customers are more likely to shop with a retailer again if they receive an abandoned cart email.
- Use a Shopify abandoned cart app to automate the process of sending abandoned cart emails.
- Personalize your abandoned cart emails to make them more effective.
- Offer a discount or incentive to customers who complete their purchase after receiving an abandoned cart email.
- Simplify your checkout process and make it as easy as possible for customers to complete their purchase.
- Use exit intent pop-ups to remind customers of the items they left in their cart.
- Run retargeting ads to reach customers who have abandoned their carts.
By following these tips, you can reduce the abandonment rate of your Shopify carts and recover lost sales.
You may also be interested in: Here is How You Can Recover Abandoned Carts and Revenue
Book a Free Demo and experience ShopAgain app in action with a complimentary, no-obligation session tailored to your business needs.
We make it easy to get started with ShopAgain app: Start Free Trial.